Ambergate:- Gateway to the Amber Valley is situated approximately 10 miles north of Derby and was a major junction on the Midland system, completed in 1873, which served Derby to Manchester trains to the north-west, trains to Matlock and Buxton also ran via the north curve and the Butterly line into the East Midlands.
 
The E.M. gauge layout which measures 35ft by 18ft is set around the turn of the century, though it can be flexible with the period of the trains. The scene depicts one of the few triangular stations in the U.K. and is viewed from the river Derwent where a number of viaducts, retaining walls and embankments become obvious.
 
Ambergate Trackplan
 
 
 
Lime Kilns
Fiddle Yard
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
                  The Leamington & Warwick Model Railway Society

Ambergate
Several fine buildings can also be seen, the Hurt Arms built by Brian and Phil Parker occupies pride of place centre front, the second station by Barry Fleming is located near the south junction and the third station and the cottages by Malcolm Dunstall are near the triangle. Ambergate had three stations in its lifetime until it was decimated in the Beeching era, and now consists of the main Derby to York line and a single track branch to Matlock, with a bus shelter for a waiting room. The goods shed still survives as a reminder of its former glory.
The layout also incorproates the Ambergate Lime Kilns which can be exhibited in their own right. They were built by George Stephenson in the early 1840s and were demolished in the mid 1960s. The site is now owned by the gas board.